Over 200 Nike bikes vandalized

April 18, 2017

A group that calls themselves the “Rose City Saboteurs” has vandalized over 200 Nike bikes in Portland with the message “THIS BIKETOWN IS NOW CLOSED, OUR CITY IS NOT A CORPORATE AMUSEMENT PARK”.

Jonathan Maus/BikePortland.org

BIKETOWN is Portland’s bike-sharing system that allows people to rent bikes for single trips, all-day passes or monthly memberships, with the general goal to get Portlanders to explore their city on bikes at an affordable price. This program is funded by Nike and was started in Portland last July.

Johnathan Maus/BikePortland.org

Vandalism has been reported at 12 locations so far, with a few of the stations featuring a poster from the “Rose City Saboteurs” pasted over them. According to Bike Portland, “The damage includes slashed tires, spray paint on the LED displays, cut spokes, and sliced seats.”

Johnathan Maus/BikePortland.org

“All Portlanders should be saddened and outraged by this senseless act of vandalism,” City Commissioner and overseer of PBOT Dan Saltzman said in a statement about the vandalism. And, it seems, they are. “A day after the Portland Bureau of Transportation reported the act of what purports to be anti-corporate vandalism to its BIKETOWN bike-share system, several bike shops and mechanics volunteered to fix the bikes and get them rolling again. By Wednesday morning, about a dozen bikes were restored to service, agency spokesman Dylan Rivera said in an email,” The Washington Post writes.

Johnathan Maus/BikePortland.org 

Hopefully soon the police will catch whoever is doing this, and, until then, Portlanders are urged to call 9-1-1 if they see anything suspicious regarding these vandalisms.

The Ms. Print • Copyright 2017 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in