The Ms. Print

Top App Obsessions SMA Has Gone Through in the Past Four Years (Flashback)

A flashback to the most used and most loved apps that the SMA community has seen in the past four years.

App store Icon

Unknown

App store Icon

Lena Cakarnis, Millennials Department Lead

Simply a compilation of the apps I’ve found were incredibly popular in the last four years of SMA. The senior class of 2017 came in with Ipads as freshmen and it’s been either a struggle or times of wonderful memories. Remember when we had Air drop and imessage? Lovely times when an all caps message came accross your notifications during a presentation you’re mirroring. Along with all our lovely expireances with ipads there have been a few games of each that stuck out to me and many others, here’s a list for you to take a trip down memory lane!

Freshmen Year: 2013-2014

Lena Cakarnis
Whale Trail App

Whale Trail: Flying high through the sky with Willow the Whale collecting multicolored bubbles in order to destroy enemies and meet new (and slightly strange borderline creepy) friends along the way. Whale Trail is at 4.5 stars on the App store, said to be a great gamer for kids and adults.

Lena Cakarnis
Dumb Ways To Die App

Dumb Ways to Die: Ah the lovely 20 some odd ways to die in this fast paced game with some of the stupidest looking characters to date. Most of them look like mutated potatoes I won’t lie. But in all the 4.5 star rating is deserved because who didn’t like Dumb Ways to Die? Not to mention that theme song got stuck in your head faster than Hannah Montana when we were ten years old. Currently there are 3 Dumb Ways to Die games, and new features are being added all the time. Oh joy!

Lena Cakarnis
Robot Unicorn Attack (RUA) App Collection

Robot Unicorn Attack: Definitely one of my personal favorites, so much so in fact that I still play it on a solid basis. Just not in class. There’s more than one edition of course, the original, heavy metal and a Christmas edition that I just now learned about. RUA was originally on desk top before moving to PC and soon after to Apple/Android games. They have also now come out with RUA 3 which involves making your own team. Are you team Rainbow or have you joined the Inferno?

Lena Cakarnis
Smash Hit App

Smash Hit: Another not-so-in-the-past favorite, Smash Hit. If I’m being completely honest the title never really made sense in my personal opinion, rather I feel it should have stated something about the small deadly looking metal balls or the oddly shaped glass that you’re destroying for some reason. Like RUA you can get a bit wigged out while playing and end up physically jumping at everything that flies at you. Definitely glad they didn’t make this in 3D. Are you reflexes and spatial awareness up to the task of these hypnotic landscapes?

Lena Cakarnis
Flappy Bird App

Flappy Bird: Even saying the title makes me frustrated, for those of you who were fortunate enough to pass the Flappy Bird stage without breaking your phone or any other object around you I applaud your abilities! In fact, the game was so frustratingly good  that people actually ended up contacting the creator for the app and writing him death threats after he removed it because it was so addicting.

Lena Cakarnis
Hack Run App

Hack Run: Have you ever wanted to be a hacker? Well Hack Run seemed like the fastest way to becoming one, set up with old systems but realistic situations in which players can hack their way into an organization and discover all its secrets. Personally I found this incredible, maybe that says something not so great about me as a person but haven’t you always wanted to find out the secrets of the government and not get caught?

Sophomore Year: 2014-2015

AA:  The end of freshmen year was the start of a long chain of addicting yet hard and frustrating games, though Flappy Bird may take the cake over all of them aa is surely not far behind. A 5 star reviewer commented “…here and there I might need a stress ball…” and they really aren’t kidding. As the levels get higher things get more complicated, you can’t predict what you’ll have to do next in order to get all your numbers in. I suggest playing this game along with a guided meditation both before and afterwards for sanity’s sake.

Unknown
Flight Rising online game

Flight Rising: Now this isn’t actually an App Store game so I’m sort of cheating in this department but you’ll understand why soon enough. Flight Rising has over 80 pages on their wiki fandom, their Twitter account has over 8k followers and, let’s be real, who doesn’t want to breed, raise, and fight with dragons? They’re Dragons for crying out loud! A lot of people have very serious theories about dragons. Flight Rising is also not as easy to get into as one would think initially. You have to wait for a specific period of time in order to actually create an account and begin your clan of cute, dark, amazing looking dragons. It’s hard not to get roped into all the sub-cultures around FR, between chest collecting, hunters v.s gatherers and the various fairs you really get sucked into it all.   

Lena Cakarnis
Crossy Road

Crossy Road: I myself was really late to the game for this one but everyone I know has played Crossy Road at some point. An absolute 5 star rating in the App Store, the only thing that never made sense to me was the fact that none of the birds can fly and the fish can’t swim. Watching a group of YouTubers, I learned you can also be incredibly cruel to your already stressing friends in Crossy Road Co-op but it’s really not a Co-op, more just a stab-your-friends-in-the-back-op.

Lena Cakarnis
Plague Inc.

Plague Inc.:  I challenge you to name me a being who doesn’t occasionally want to eradicate the world with an incurable virus that kills fast and infects faster yet has the same symptoms as the flu so doctors ignore it. Oh yeah, that’s plague for ya. Creating the most indestructible diseases and monitoring the world as it falls apart at your fingertips, now Plague Inc. has an update called ‘The Shadow Plague’ will humanity be able to defend itself if you’re in control of the plague?

Lena Cakarnis
2048! The game of math without math!

2048: The puzzle game of numbers and math that doesn’t actually require you to have to do math. How wonderful right? Essentially you’re stacking tiles on top of each other to multiply them as high as you can without getting stuck in the rubix cube of tiles. They also have a Dogo version of this, highly entertaining but you probably can’t play that one off as an educational excuse to have it.

Lena Cakarnis
Piano Tiles 2 in the App store

Piano Tiles: One of the millions of musical games out in the world right now, Piano Tiles is no easy task for anyone struggling with fast moving black blocks or rapid Beethoven in the background. How many versions of Piano Tiles are there? Good question. There’s always more songs and more things to try, can you master Bethoven’s 5th? 

Cytus App

Cytus: Maybe not one of the most popular music games on the list but by far one of my favorites, Cytus not only has secret songs and hard levels but the range of music goes everywhere from techno to traditional Korean, Japanese and Chinese flutes with beautiful vocals. Don’t be fooled by the “easy” level, mastering a chapter is no easy task.

Junior Year: 2015-2016

Lena Cakarnis
Trivia Crack App!

Trivia Crack: If you don’t remember the Trivia Crack epidemic you most likely were not alive or not the owner of a smart divice. Trivia Crack no douubt made its rounds thorugh classrooms, may you be playing against classmates, friends, teachers or random strangers you need to be quick in your thought process and hope the questions aren’t too difficult.

Lena Cakarnis
Covet App, the fashion game that took way more effort than I expected

Covet: Covet, another not so small epidemic especially for all the fashionistas out there that love top runway looks. I have to give this game credit, it actually made me put a decent amount of thought into each and every outfit, however tha being said I still loved making my own styles more than anyting.

Lena Cakarnis
Stop App

Stop: Another trivia app with so many categories it makes it hard to think specifically. An added challenge being you have to think of something starting with a certain letter in respect to that category. Though it came and went fairly quickly compared to Trivia Crack you can still get a decent amount of people to join in a game of who is fastest on their letters.

Senior Year: 2016-Present

Lena Cakarnis
Pokemon Go! Are you going to be a master trainer? Gotta Catch em’ all!

Pokemon Go: Less of an SMA epidemic, more of a world app epidemic. Pokemon Go swept the nation with raves and criticizms like no other. The idea that you become the trainer in real life to catch cute virtual creatures with a swipe of your finger is almost surreal. A beautiful game however it drains your phone battery like no other, if you ask me they should have been selling portable batteries not just tokens and coins.

Lena Cakarnis
Neko Atsume! Caaaaats!!!

Neko Atsume: So many adorable cats! Neko Atsume is a great not super attentive game for cat lovers (and those who can’t have actual cats), try to get pictures of them all to fill your kitten album! Choose your foods, toys, cat jungles and more, Neko Atsume is purrfect.

Lena Cakarnis
1010! App. Tetris but not

1010!: Tetris but not! I believe those were everyone’s initial thoughts when this puzzle game first came out. There are hundreds of versions of 1010 all with the same goal, try and get the most amount of points and not run out of space for your pieces. I always leave a space open to fit that block of nine, they always shhow up when you have little to no room for them.

Lena Cakarnis
Tap Tap Fiish app. I really don’t understand the point of this XD

Tap Tap Fish-AbyssRium: Now this…I don’t understand, while being fairly new to the world of apps, Tap Tap Fish-AbyssRium is slowly but surely sweeping over the digital world. Why you really need fish that look like loves of bread or octopi that are bubblegum pink is slightly beyond me. But hey, you get to have virtual fish, and who doesn’t liike virtual fish?

• Top App Obsessions SMA Has Gone Through in the Past Four Years (Flashback)

Showcase

Senior Metanoia

Politics

The Border Wall’s Impact on the Enviroment

Millennials

Millennials’ Fight Against Anxiety

Commentary

Why the Kendall Jenner Pepsi Ad is a Huge Success

Culture & Entertainment

Why The World Needs Wonder Woman

Living Arts

Inside Scoop On The Gluten Free Life

Millennials

Don’t Blame Your Problems on the Planets: Why Horoscopes Are Fake and Why We Feel Compelled to Believe Them

• Commentary

I’m fat. Get over it.

Commentary

Update: Flint, Michigan

Culture & Entertainment

TV Shows that Return in April