The Ms. Print

The Border Wall’s Impact on the Enviroment

Natalie Ware, Politics Department Writer

Within 100 miles of the America / Mexico border on the American side, there are six national parks, six wildlife refuges, conservation areas, lands belonging to Indigenous tribes, and wilderness areas. On the other side of the border, there are various protected natural areas like El Picante y Gran Desierto De Altar. These pieces of natural land could be in danger if a wall on the border is built.

The inhabitants of these various natural sites have already been suffering before construction has even taken place. In the El Picacate and Cabeza Prieta, the Sonoran pronghorn haven’t been able to migrate because vehicle barriers and construction block their way. The current fence along the border has already been cited as being detrimental to 45 different species of animals, particularly when fence splits up a species’ habitat, separating the population. When this happens, these species can face a greater chance of extinction because they have a smaller gene pool. These fences can also limit the water available for animals, which is a particular concern for wildlife in the desert areas of the border. Pollinators can die off because of the fence, since there are some sections of the fence that have lights that attract, but electrocute them. There are several different pollinators that travel across the border, like the Monarch butterfly. The taller the fence or wall, fewer avian critters will be able to travel beyond the wall. If pollinators are deeply affected by this new construction and border wall, not only could it be detrimental to the animals in the area, but also the plants. Without the pollinators to help spread the pollen, it will be increasingly difficult for native plants to continue to grow.

As the executive director of the Border Action Network, Juanita Molina, told NPR, “When you have such beautiful wilderness areas as we have here in Arizona, the idea of putting this large wall that prevents the migration of animals, that scars the earth itself, and especially knowing how ineffectual it is, is something that is just sad.”

The border wall, if constructed, will cause irreparable harm to our enviroment. Climate change is increasingly becoming a more prominent issue in our everyday lives, and if we continue to damage the natural world even further, the impact could be totally destructive.

• The Border Wall’s Impact on the Enviroment

Showcase

Senior Metanoia

Millennials

Millennials’ Fight Against Anxiety

Commentary

Why the Kendall Jenner Pepsi Ad is a Huge Success

Living Arts

Inside Scoop On The Gluten Free Life

Student Life

Dr. Gabor

Living Arts

The Pros and Cons of Self-Diagnosis Culture

Student Life

13 Best Places to Have an Existential Crisis in the Academy

Commentary

Diversity in the SMA Curriculum

Millennials

The Benefits of Horseback Riding on the Body and Soul

Millennials

Languages: Symbols vs. Letters