The Shadow Society Review

January 19, 2017

The Shadow Society is a Young Adult novel written by Marie Rutkoski. It was released October 16th of 2012. This book follows Darcy Jones, your stereotypical emo teenager. She wears all black and has natural black hair. She never felt like she belonged ever since her parents abandoned her outside of a fire station in Chicago. After that, she moved from foster home to foster home, never understanding why her parents left her and why she never felt like she was normal. Little does she know, she is from an alternative universe where the Great Chicago Fire never even happened. Then her whole world gets turned upside down when she meets a smirking stranger by a tree outside of her school.

The book starts out a little slow but speeds up throughout. This book is full of drama, betrayal, and much more. I was surprised by the ending, but very happy with the way it turned out. I enjoyed this book and recommend it to others. The age range would be best from 14-16, maybe 17 if you’re someone who likes these types of books. The Shadow Society is honestly one of my favorite books and I would definitely read the other books if she continued the story. Rutkoski is an amazing author, she writes mostly Young Adult novels and appeals to most audiences.  My personal rating would be a 4/5. This book wasn’t a masterpiece but I still had a good time reading it. You really get to know the characters and feel like you’re actually in the book. The way she describes the characters makes you feel as if you really know them. The vocabulary she uses isn’t very advanced since it was written for young adults, but even with the limited vocabulary she used, it worked perfectly to describe everything that took place in the book. The Shadow Society seems to fall into the fantasy category because of the alternate universe and the “people” Darcy finds there. If you’re not into fantasy or Young Adult books, I don’t suggest reading this. There is some romance but the book doesn’t seem to sully revolve around it, it’s more about the mystery of the other universe and finding out who you truly are. I have to admit, there were some confusing parts, but basically all of my questions were answered throughout the book. The Shadow Society has an ending that makes it seem like there would be a second book. It’s not exactly a cliffhanger, but it leads you to believe that there could be another book.

The Ms. Print • Copyright 2017 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in