The Ms. Print

The Kardashian-Jenner Publicity Machine

Is Kylie Jenner actually pregnant or is it all for publicity?

Jenny White, Culture & Entertinment Department Writer

It’s no secret how the Kardashians initially became famous. Kim Kardashian’s controversial sex tape was leaked and the public debated whether or not the leak was planned. The mystery, however, is how the family remained famous. While their life and career accomplishments, brand choices, and iconic memes are highly important in the history of Kardashian-Jenner infamy, their biggest collective accomplishment is their ability to control the media narrative on their lives in order to stay famous.

This September has revealed a classic example of the Kardashian-Jenner publicity machine in use. A source “close to the family” leaks a rumor that Khloe Kardashian, Kim Kardashian, and their half-sister Kylie Jenner, are all pregnant and due within a month of each other. The family goes radio-silent on the subject, leaving the rest of the world craving answers and waiting for confirmation. While Kim and Khloe’s pregnancies are no surprise, Kylie Jenner’s pregnancy, is highly controversial. The twenty year old broke up with her on-and-off boyfriend of two years, Tyga, in April, and officially started dating her current boyfriend, Travis Scott, only weeks later. They’ve been together for almost six months now, and in mid September, news of their baby broke headlines. Yet, unlike previous pregnancy rumors that have circulated on social media over the years, this time Kylie did not appear on social media to refute them.

Since then, Kylie’s Instagram posts have mostly featured flashback photos, and the current photos she has posted have featured herself in baggy clothing. Kylie’s public appearances and online behavior mimic her family’s typical air of mystery as she teases her audiences with allusions to pregnancy without confirming or denying anything. For example, in a Snapchat post on October 9th, Kylie posted photos of three cinnamon rolls on her Snapchat, hinting at the phrase “bun in the oven.” Next, she posted a photo of two phone case options featuring her makeup brand logo—one blue and one pink. The caption stated “Which one? I’m thinking blue…” Fans scrambled to the conclusion that she is having a boy, yet because she is continuously indirect and mysterious, viewers remain in the dark. Additionally, instances of past Kardashian social media silence include the aftermath of Kim’s robbery in Paris. Afterward, she remained silent for months.

Whether or not Jenner is actually pregnant, the world is on high alert. Jenner, like her siblings in the Kardashian-Jenner clan, has figured out a way to lure people in. Those people could be fans or just regular people who don’t want to admit that they’re curious. No matter what, it is inevitable that come February when her baby is allegedly due, we will be checking headlines for stories generated by the Kardashian publicity machine.

• The Kardashian-Jenner Publicity Machine

Culture & Entertainment

9 Thoughts the French Exchange Students Have About Us

Culture & Entertainment

TBH- Why the Newest Anonymous-Participation App Is So Popular

Culture & Entertainment

Looking For Some Haunted Places to Go This Halloween? I’ve Got You Covered.

Culture & Entertainment

A Journey to the Past Carries ‘Anastasia’ to the Present in Broadway’s Newest Hit Musical

Culture & Entertainment

I’m Asian and I Don’t “Relate” to Mulan: Asian-Pacific Islander Representation in the Media

Culture & Entertainment

The Changing Face of TV Platforms

Culture & Entertainment

TV Shows that Return in April

Culture & Entertainment

A Disney Classic: The New Beauty and the Beast

Culture & Entertainment

Why The World Needs Wonder Woman

Culture & Entertainment

The Evolution of Wonder Woman Through The Comics

The Kardashian-Jenner Publicity Machine