The Ms. Print

St. Mary’s Academy after the Final Bell

What happens after school when the students go home? Do the teachers sleep at their desks? I wanted to find out.

Sara Hearing, Lifestyle Department Writer

What happens at our dear SMA when the majority of us are not around? Do you run out of the building right at 2:55 and wonder what you are missing? Well, this is the photo essay for you! Take a peek at what happens after the final bell rings.

Class has ended and minutes after the final bell rings, students stream from classrooms to the front hall desperate to get home. I don’t think I was very stealthy because Hannah Moya, SMA Sophomore, seems to have spotted me. Whoops…

Quickly trying to catch their bus, students flow down the stairs and onto the sidewalk leaving school for the day and attempting to get home quickly. Of course, so they can get a start on their two hours of homework.

A line of cars wait outside the school, anxiously awaiting the arrival of recently-released students, ready to maneuver their way out of the tightly crammed driveway and wait in downtown Portland traffic for an hour.

During activity block on Friday, December 8, unsuspecting students relax in Sophomore Hall socializing with friends, waiting for activities, or simply waiting for their ride. How riveting. What could they possibly do next?!

When visiting our dear Mr. Hemmen after school, I wanted to know what he did after students have departed for the day. The first thing I noticed when walking into the room, was the very zen music that was blasting from his speakers sending me immediately into a calm, relaxing mood. If you’re ever looking for a station on Pandora to listen to whether you’re finishing homework or meditating on the fly, check out Jai Uttal. Mr. Hemmen told me that he always tries to leave school between 3:30-4:00 in order to be there before his family. However, he also recognizes his responsibilities as a teacher by spending his time after school making copies and preparing for next week’s classes. He also noted that he likes to tidy his classroom in order to have a nice, organized work space. While I didn’t get a lot of time to speak to him because Mr. Hemmen was busily working on his Yoga Certification homework, I really enjoyed checking in with him and finding out how he spends his time without his wonderful students in the classroom.

Hard at work in the Commons, students are found hanging out with friends, lounging on the couches, or chilling by the Christmas tree drinking in the Christmas spirit. *Table featured with poor garbage left by students…much to the dismay of the custodial staff*

After practice, Ski Team athletes wait “under the sea” in Senior Hall with teammates or laying on the floor contemplating life after such a difficult workout on the third floor. I mean, those stairs are pretty much a mountain, right?

Pictured here are senior year TIES leaders, Monica Daschel and Lauren Lee, guiding her Caterpillar group down the stairs. Those fifth graders keep getting smaller and smaller every year. Thanks for always making me feel old.

Here in our fine building, we have rented our auditorium to a local theatre troupe, the Portland Revels, for their production of Nordic Lights. Thanks for making our auditorium smaller, but evermore Christmassy. Personally, I think it is a fair trade.

Back again in the Commons, but much later at the ungodly hour of 5 o’clock, the Commons is completely abandoned with the custodial staff preparing to clean the aforementioned garbage on the table. Again…shame, students!

While taking the artsy photo above, I realized I was in the presence of Sarah Quenemoen, SMA Skier who stays after school all the time! I asked her a few questions and found out two things. She was only hanging out with me while I took pictures around the school because she was waiting for her bus, and also she enjoys walking around school in socks because she likes the thrill. A special thanks to Sarah for sticking with me while I took pictures, and also photobombing over half of them. You’ll probably see more down the line.

Poor Frida Kowlow, waiting all alone in the cafeteria for us students to come visit her again. Just so you know, she told me to tell you that she misses you and to give her a pet the next time you see her.

On my last round through the building, I found myself outside of the chapel. Looking in, I saw the lit advent wreath with two electric candles on signifying the second week of advent. Ever need a quiet space to meditate to Mr. Hemmen’s favorite Pandora playlist? Come to the chapel.

Ever wonder where the beautiful orchestra music is coming from after school on Wednesdays and Thursdays? Pictured here is the String Ensemble with their fearless leader, Mrs. Parker, hard at work after the Winter Concert is over and now working on Spring Concert materials. Keep making that beautiful music, girls!

Here we have our beloved Mr. Housley. Similar to Mr. Hemmen, I asked him what he does after school at SMA. He said that he likes to stay relatively late because it helps him to be more productive with his work than being at home. Right now, specifically, he was writing a recommendation for a student to be a Camp Counselor. He also let us in on that when he got home, he was planning on writing a college recommendation, which takes him about two hours each! Two hours each! For twenty-four students! Goodness, that is a lot of work. God bless these teachers for all the work they do for us.

As I was preparing to leave St. Mary’s for the day, I looked fondly on the attendance office. Ms. Thompson no where in sight, I was deeply sad that I would not be able to see her smiling face and get a piece of candy for being in dress code. But luckily, I still got to see her festive candy canes in the window. Oh, and Sarah Q.

Well, SMA, thanks for hosting me and not kicking me out. Why did I choose to stay here so late just to come back the next morning at 7:30 in the morning? I’m not really sure, but I’m glad I did. I was able to see St. Mary’s in a light we usually don’t. Literally. It was quite dark.

• St. Mary’s Academy after the Final Bell

Lifestyle

Holidays In Portland

Lifestyle

Fun Facts about your Faculty and Staff Members!

Lifestyle

A World of Waste

Lifestyle

Get to know a Norwegian Fjord

• Lifestyle

Upcoming Games in 2017/18

Lifestyle

Confederate Symbol in the Mississippi State Flag

Lifestyle

Pumpkin Coffee Chocolate Pudding Cake

Lifestyle

That’s So SMA!: Some of SMA’s Disney Channel Favorites

Lifestyle

Micro Restaurants In Portland

Lifestyle

Mrs. DeVille? Where is Ms. Timoney?!

St. Mary’s Academy after the Final Bell