The Ms. Print

How to find Service Opportunities at SMA

Bridget Dean, [email protected] Section Lead

As an SMA student, it is a fact that at some point during your high school career you will get involved in volunteer service. And as a community we are very proud of this fact. But you may be thinking, where do I find service opportunities? How can I help my community in a way that is both challenging and fun? Well, look no further! This year the Ms. Print is compiling a short list of service opportunities in hopes of making service more accessible to SMA students (rising juniors, this is for you!).

To start off, we thought it would be helpful to look at an example of service work one of your peers is already involved with. So, we asked Sara Melancon (a sophomore) about her work at Butte Creek Scout Ranch.

My name is Sara Jane Melancon and I work for the Boy Scouts of America at Butte Creek Scout Ranch. I dedicate many of my weekends serving as a wrangler through ranch maintenance, projects, teaching Boy Scouts about horses and horse back riding, and leading trail rides. Butte Creek Scout Ranch is located in Scotts Mills, Oregon and is about 30 miles north of Salem. The property is around 640 acres and the horses are able to run freely on the property. I started working four years ago and have learned a lot about leadership as I serve as a mentor to younger wranglers and a teacher to the boys and girls we serve. I have learned the importance of giving back to my community, what it means to be a strong leader, and the importance of having compassion and a strong work ethic. We not only teach horseback riding but we strive to make a difference in people’s and animals’ lives. Many of the horses we receive are rescued from poor conditions and are given a new purpose. We work together with these animals to provide opportunities to children and adults and offer pleasure and therapeutic riding. We provide children with opportunities to get outside and explore the world by experiencing nature. We are a community dedicated to bettering lives, not only for those who come with their Boy Scout troops, but also our volunteers. Many volunteers use the ranch as a safe place. We have become a family and for some it is the only family they have. It is something I am proud to be a part of and I’m proud to be able to make a difference in people’s lives. Butte Creek and the Boy Scouts have given me many opportunities to thrive and serve my community. It has become a huge part of my life and I am incredibly thankful for everything they have done for me.

Find below a few service opportunities (listed on the SMA website) that are offered around the greater Portland area as well as a link to the service section of our school website. We hope this helps in your search for service opportunities at SMA!

Homeless Service:

Macdonald Center
Contact: Outreach Coordinator – Sarah Knuth

Phone: 503-222-5720 Ext. 7451
Time of year: All Year

Mailing Address: 121 NW Sixth Ave., Portland, OR 97209
E-mail: [email protected]
Website: www.macdcenter.org

This agency serves people in the low-income hotels in the Old town area of Portland. Volunteers will have the opportunity to meet and work with clients in the hotels. Volunteers are needed weekdays any time of the year. There are a variety of opportunities ranging from one-time placements, summer placements, or recurring opportunities. The Macdonald Center seeks to build connections and community through volunteer interactions.

Fish Emergency Services
Contact: Kathleen Butler
Phone: 503-233-5533
Time of year: All Year
Mailing Address: 1335 SE Hawthorne Blvd. Portland, OR 97214
E-mail: [email protected]
Website: www.fishemergencyservice.org

Fish is a social service organization which provides assistance to those who find themselves in crisis situations. Fish supplies nutritious food, clothing, bedding, household items, and infant supplies to individuals and families. It also helps individuals learn urban survival skills which encourage independence from social service programs and promotes dignity. Volunteers are needed to act as receptionists, food baggers, check out clerks, storeroom custodians and perhaps interviewers. Hours: Monday-Thursday 9:30-2 PM. Closed Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Tutoring:

Metropolitan Family Service/After School Programs
Contact: Depends on location 
Phone: 503-232-0007
Time of year: School Year & Summer School
Mailing Address: Depends on location
Locations: East Portland and North Clackamas
Email: [email protected]

Website: www.metfamily.org

Metropolitan’s after school programs build student success and strengthens communities by expanding school-based services to include academic enrichment, recreation, and health and social services for students, parents, and neighborhood residents. Volunteers supporting after school programs lead recreational classes, provide childcare at special events, or tutor one-on-one students in reading and math. Hours vary between 2:00 – 6:00 p.m. Monday – Thursday, there are also summer school programs and occasional special evening events. Volunteers can contribute one time or consider an ongoing commitment. If you would like to learn more, please give Sara a call at 503-232-0007, ext. 203 or email: [email protected]

Centro Cultural
Contact: Alan Becerra
Phone: 503-359-0446
Time of year: Summer
Mailing Address: PO Box 708 , Cornelius, OR 97113
E-mail: [email protected]
Website: www.centrocultural.org

The community center for Latinos in Washington County. It facilitates mutual empowerment, cultural exchange, friendship, and community across cultural boundaries. Located in Cornelius, it provides programs that address hunger, educational needs, conditions of life (especially among camp workers), and cultural activities. Students may be involved in any of these programs. There are also opportunities to tutor people with their ESL course work; knowledge of Spanish is helpful but not required.

Disabilities Service:

Adventures Without Limits
Contact: Volunteer Coordinator / Brad Bafar
Phone: 503-359-2568
Time of year: All Year
Mailing Address: 1341 Pacific Ave., Forest Grove, OR 97116
E-mail: [email protected]
Website: www.awloutdoors.com

Adventures without Limits provides outdoor adventures for people with and without physical disabilities. Participants go on canoe, rafting, kayaking, hiking, rock climbing,  and camping trips. Volunteers serve as assistants to people with or without disabilities. Adventures run mid-week and on the weekends. To volunteer you need solid outdoor skills in one of the following: Rock climbing, canoeing, white water rafting, sea kayaking, and low-impact camping; also interpersonal skills and relationship building is important to have. Great summer project! Call for event times and application. The commitment is leading 4-6 trips a year from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., mostly on weekends and school holidays.

Providence Child Center & the Center for Medically Fragile Children
Contact: Volunteer Coordinator / Mario Micozzi
Phone: 503-215-2470
Time of year: All year
Mailing Address: 830 NE 47th Ave. Portland, OR 97213
Email: N/A
Website: www.oregon.providence.org

Providence Child Center provides a continuum of services for children including skilled nursing care, a Montessori School, a child development program, and comprehensive neurodevelopmental evaluation and treatment services. The Center for Medically Fragile Children at Providence Child Center is a nursing facility providing care for children in a residential setting. Fifty-eight beds are dedicated to children needing long-term chronic care and short-term respite, and end-of-life care. Volunteers are needed in many capacities within the Child Center, such as playing with the children and working directly with them. As a volunteer you can also assist with field trips, recreational programs, special events and parties. This has proven to be a very meaningful site for SMA students.

• How to find Service Opportunities at SMA

Showcase

Senior Metanoia

Politics

The Border Wall’s Impact on the Enviroment

Millennials

Millennials’ Fight Against Anxiety

Commentary

Why the Kendall Jenner Pepsi Ad is a Huge Success

Living Arts

Inside Scoop On The Gluten Free Life

Student Life

Dr. Gabor

Living Arts

The Pros and Cons of Self-Diagnosis Culture

Student Life

13 Best Places to Have an Existential Crisis in the Academy

Commentary

Diversity in the SMA Curriculum

Millennials

The Benefits of Horseback Riding on the Body and Soul