The Ms. Print

Turns Out, Being Edgy Isn’t An Insult

Tatiana Cober, Millenials Staff Writer

In today’s world, the word “edgy” has become a word that’s usually partnered with a mocking tone and a snarl. When people think of someone with an edgy personality, they usually think of ripped jeans, piercings, and brightly colored hair, a cloud of rebellion and dark thoughts following. They think of the stereotypical, “tumblr-esque,” black and white photos with a girl wearing something with rips, tears, and most likely a leather jacket with pins covering the front. This stereotype has brought many who happen to express themselves in this way feel beat down. Teens are some of the biggest contributors to “edgy culture,” and it seems that the sudden burst of expression can actually scare some away. Teens everywhere are using the word or becoming part of “edgy” culture, so how is the four-letter word bad?

If you walk through the halls of a high school, a college, or even just down a street, you’ll most likely come across someone who could possibly be defined as edgy. The word is actually a fashion term, but only recently people have been attaching the word to people. The small word means exactly what it sounds like, “sharp-edged; sharply defined, as outlines and daringly innovative” according to dictionary.com.

The goal of edgy fashion is to send a message of what can be interpreted as rebellion upon first sight, as the type of fashion can include a lot of black and dark colors. However, edgy fashion choices can actually come in many different styles. There is that dark sense in clothing and accessory options, but there is also the bright and exciting side.

This side of fashion can be closely related to the “hipster” trend, except with less fringe and more bold statements written across shirts and exciting hair styles and colors. Hairstyles can include choppy, short lengths and hair color ranging from silver to blue.

So, why do so many people use “edgy” in such a mocking tone? A use of the word can be describing behaviors or activities that are judged provocative or dark to the society. Of course, the definition can range depending on what society you’re looking at, but assuming it’s the average American society, you’ll see people using the term constantly, ranging from whenever a friend says something that can also be described as “emo” or goth, all the way to a phrase graffitied on a wall in a very extravagant way, such as large and messy black letters with variations of exciting words.

The term “edgy” isn’t actually bad, and use of the word shouldn’t carry such a bad tone to it. Instead of using it as an insult, maybe it better to allow kids to be as “edgy” as they please. Let kids wear ripped jeans, let them listen to dark music, let them express their opinion without expecting it to be dismissed with a laugh and a four-letter word. Overall, just let kids be as edgy as they want to be.

• Turns Out, Being Edgy Isn’t An Insult

Showcase

Senior Metanoia

• Turns Out, Being Edgy Isn’t An Insult

Politics

The Border Wall’s Impact on the Enviroment

• Turns Out, Being Edgy Isn’t An Insult

Millennials

Millennials’ Fight Against Anxiety

• Turns Out, Being Edgy Isn’t An Insult

Commentary

Why the Kendall Jenner Pepsi Ad is a Huge Success

• Turns Out, Being Edgy Isn’t An Insult

Living Arts

Inside Scoop On The Gluten Free Life

• Turns Out, Being Edgy Isn’t An Insult

Student Life

Dr. Gabor

• Turns Out, Being Edgy Isn’t An Insult

Living Arts

The Pros and Cons of Self-Diagnosis Culture

• Turns Out, Being Edgy Isn’t An Insult

Student Life

13 Best Places to Have an Existential Crisis in the Academy

• Turns Out, Being Edgy Isn’t An Insult

Commentary

Diversity in the SMA Curriculum

• Turns Out, Being Edgy Isn’t An Insult

Millennials

The Benefits of Horseback Riding on the Body and Soul

Turns Out, Being Edgy Isn’t An Insult