The Ms. Print

Millennials’ Fight Against Anxiety

Andrew Stawarz

Andrew Stawarz

Tatiana Cober, Millennials Staff Writer

Anxiety has a way of making its presence known. It tends to bring a lot more panic than other obstacles in life. Millennials have been feeling this presence in a way that’s much stronger than previous generations, as most rate their stress levels a 5.4 out of 10 compared to Baby Boomers and the generation before them, rating a 4.7 and 3.7 of ten.

A large factor in this sudden spike in anxiety has to do with technology use (however most studies don’t tend to focus on the other factors, such as ones that aren’t as easily seen or measured). The use of new technology has millennials more connected than past generations, and according to PewResearch, 72% of the generation uses social media. 75% of teens also own a phone, and almost all of 14-17 year olds have a blog or social media account of some sort.

The factors that lead to anxiety are numerous. Students have triggers that relate directly to schoolwork and also those that extend to extracurricular life. These activities can create a build up of worry and panic over doing the simplest things. Anxiety disorders form in different ways, but what makes it different from stress is that anxiety actually affects daily life according to the ADAA. Millennials experience this disorder more often and it forms without surprise, anxiety being one of the most common psychiatric disorders. CBS News reports that 38% of millennials experienced a rise in stress in the past year, part of that due to outside causes such as money, work, and relationships.

According to the Huffington Post, 30% of those working in this generation have a general anxiety disorder, but the mental obstacles that come with anxiety affects 61% of millennials. With the added stress from studying for large tests with homework loads and after-school sports, it’s easy to say that there’s a source for the anxiety.

While schools bring on some anxiety, a majority of stress can also come from outside sources. According to a study by Unilad done by Andrew Maguire, a lack of stability might be one of these factors. “Millennials spend longer in education, in differing jobs and in gap years, than any generation before them,” writes Maguire.

The idea of not knowing how the future will turn out, not having a set routine or change in general can be a very scary idea. Not knowing what to focus on between the different problems is another factor that allows anxiety to appear and multiply.

Today’s generation tends to be very centered around opinions. With the growth of social media, the idea that expectations are set by social media and the feeling that one has to meet or exceed these is strongly present. At the same time, abandonment issues and large crowds can be formed from the loss of stability that millennials face.

Anxiety isn’t something that’s small like getting stressed over an exam. Anxiety is something that affects someone on a daily basis, haunting and sticking to them like glue. The difference in anxiety and stress mainly has to do with where they come from. The two stressors have similar symptoms, such as headaches, rapid heart beats, and muscle tension, but anxiety tends to lean more towards panic attacks almost, giving the person chills and higher blood pressure with chest pains as well as basic symptoms. The Huffington Post writes that stress makes it clear where the worry comes from, while with anxiety you become less aware and seem to get anxious about being anxious. The ADAA talks about stress being the response to a threat in a situation, while anxiety is the reactions to stress itself. Anxiety is also affected by genetics, brain chemistry, and personality traits, and life events. The two also are associated with different feelings. According to the Huffington Post, stress relates to frustration and nervousness while anxiety is closer to fear, unease, worry, and a sense of helplessness.

An irregular sleeping habit and skipping meals can be a large part of what fuels the anxiety. By leaving the body in a more vulnerable state, anxiety has a higher chance of wearing someone down even more.

Outside help from friends or family, such as letting the diagnosed person know that they have some help and stability from them, or even just good energy, can help push back anxiety.

So, what are other possible ways to get out of the ditch? Knowing anxiety is a lasting mental disorder with no “cure” is obviously a good start. Being able to vocalize when problems arise, such as being uncomfortable in large crowds or being able to state when a topic is sensitive for you, can help let people around you become a little more aware.

If anxiety still seems to be present despite finding some healthy coping mechanisms, therapy might be a good place to start looking. Know that it takes time to find a therapist that works well for your specific set of needs, but professionals will always be better than relying on friends alone for support.

Help is available for those with anxiety. Yet, knowing the causes for anxiety within the current generation will always be difficult as people’s different personalities mean they react differently to all the situations one might experience in this world.

• Millennials’ Fight Against Anxiety

Showcase

Senior Metanoia

• Millennials’ Fight Against Anxiety

Politics

The Border Wall’s Impact on the Enviroment

• Millennials’ Fight Against Anxiety

Commentary

Why the Kendall Jenner Pepsi Ad is a Huge Success

• Millennials’ Fight Against Anxiety

Living Arts

Inside Scoop On The Gluten Free Life

• Millennials’ Fight Against Anxiety

Student Life

Dr. Gabor

• Millennials’ Fight Against Anxiety

Living Arts

The Pros and Cons of Self-Diagnosis Culture

• Millennials’ Fight Against Anxiety

Student Life

13 Best Places to Have an Existential Crisis in the Academy

• Millennials’ Fight Against Anxiety

Commentary

Diversity in the SMA Curriculum

• Millennials’ Fight Against Anxiety

Millennials

The Benefits of Horseback Riding on the Body and Soul

• Millennials’ Fight Against Anxiety

Millennials

Languages: Symbols vs. Letters

Millennials’ Fight Against Anxiety