6 Ways to Take Care of Yourself this Winter Break

December 16, 2016

Winter break is finally here! Without the structure or pressure of a school schedule, it’s easy to want to curl up into your bed re-watching Love Actually as the coming two weeks slip silently away. Below are some more constructive ways to practice self care this holiday season.

1. Turn off your phone. Or at least take this time to delete apps like Instagram and Snapchat that tend to swallow up all of your time and energy. It may feel unnatural at first, but you’ll be grateful to be free of the feelings of negativity associated with screen time.
  2. Go outside. There’s nothing like a breath of fresh air–in fact, it’s scientifically proven that spending time outside significantly decreases stress and boosts happiness. This break, grab your skis and head to the mountain, go on a winter hike with your family, or take your dog for a long walk around your neighborhood.
  3. Make a homework schedule. There’s nothing worse than trying to start and finish all of your work on the last day of break. Not only will you be stressed and anxious on that final late night; the weeks leading up to your return to school will be tainted with the looming thought of all the responsibilities you’ve ignored. Whether it’s college applications, papers, projects, or busywork, make yourself a realistic calendar for getting it done and stick to it–you’ll thank yourself later.
  4. Eat well. More so than any time of the year, winter holidays come with a plethora of unhealthy treats and desserts. Don’t shy away from every red and green cookie that comes your way, but be intentional about your eating habits by making sure that what you’re putting in your body is going to make you feel good.
  5. Get creative! Hopefully, a break from school opens up some free time for you. Commit yourself to creating something over the next few weeks–whatever your chosen medium, there’s nothing like the feeling of getting swept up in a project, or the accomplishment and fulfillment that comes after finishing a piece.
  6. Spend face-to-face time with people you love. There’s arguably no better way to take care of yourself this break than by spending face-to-face time with the friends and family members who help you laugh, decompress, and feel good about yourself.

Have a wonderful winter break, SMA!

The Ms. Print • Copyright 2017 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in